Moonglet or Moong Dal pizza! A delicious upgrade to your moong dal cheela recipe is perfect Indian breakfast with a cheesy twist. Flavour of fresh salsa with melting cheese on top and in the center this makes a great snack or Lunch box recipe and breakfast idea.
A rich source of protein and fibre, moong dal pizza or moonglet is one of healthy treat to load up on nutrients in your everyday meals. This recipe of moonglet is great snacking option. If you have this moong dal chila batter ready or you can make this with skinless moong dal cheela batter , All you need is 10 Minutes to whip up this tasty vegetarian snack.
Why It is called moonglet? I think because many people like to call these as vegetarian omelette, and since this is prepared from a base of moong dal it is named a moonglet.
Original Delhi street food recipe of moonglet is made using yellow moong dal, but I took it a step further and used split green moong dal. Also, I added some peas which I blended to paste in a grinder jar and added to the batter. It gives a vibrant green hue and adds up on nutrition.
Plate it up for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this healthy moong dal cheela recipe will keep you happy and energetic all day.
Moonglet is a protein-packed meal. Filled with nutrition and rich in taste, it will be perfect for your kids lunch box. Perfect brown crust stuffed with green peas, chopped onions and green chilies, moong dal chilla is full of fiber and carbohydrates.
How to Make Moonglet or Moong dal Pizza
Coming back to the recipe, you can make the chilla with both split and husked moong. I have cooked Moong dal pancake by making a batter of grinded moong dal and peas. To the batter I added few basic ingredients and then cooked it.
Prior to grinding moong dal chilla, I soaked it for 3-4 hours. You can soak it overnight if you are planning to make them as breakfast. If you plan to serve it as an evening snack then soak the moong dal lentil at least 3-4 hours prior to the serving.
I have used frozen green peas as I had some of them left after I cooked Matar Paneer for dinner the previous night. You can use fresh peas as well.
For making moonglet prepare two moong dal cheela, place one in the pan and on this place first layer of fresh salsa. Then place cheese slices which are cut into small pieces. Few tablespoons of mozzarella cheese and and cover that with other cheela.
Now cover and cook for few minutes on both sides on low heat. Apply butter as required and cook till crust is browned to desired consistency. Now again top with cheese slices cut into small pieces.
Just follow the same recipe prep and spread cheese slices on one chilla. Cover it with another chilla and again spread some cheese on top. Cover and cook until the cheese starts to melt and your Cheesy Moong Dal Pizza is ready.
Make Soft and Crispy Chilla Pizza with Just One Batter!
The best thing about making chillas is that you can cook them according to your preference. I like to eat soft chillas whereas crispy ones are a favorite in my house. So, with the same batter, I make both soft and crispy chillas.
If you want to make crispy moong dal chilla then spread the batter thinly and evenly. And for soft chillas, just pour the batter like mini puas.
To make a soft chilla always keep the heat from low-to-medium. This way the chilla will cook from within and there will be no raw taste of moong dal.
Moong Dal Health Benefits
Moong dal is power-packed with healthy nutrients. It is rich in potassium, vitamins, minerals, and fiber that helps to control blood pressure. Regular intake of moong dal will reduce chronic diseases and is good for diabetics.
Other moong dal recipes you can make Sabut Moong Dal, Dhuli Moong Dal, and Moong Masoor Dal Fry. For desserts, you can make my favorite Moong Dal Halwa.
You can make it by either following the recipe prep or watching the video. I love to serve moong dal chilla with pico de gallo. You can even serve it as a snack or with any curry.
A few tips to keep in mind while making moong dal chilla
- Wash and soak dal for 3-4 hours prior to making the batter.
- Do not make a very thick batter, keep the batter to a medium consistency.
- Always add water in small batches while making the batter. So that you do not end up adding more.
- Instead of cheese slices you can use grated cheese too.
If you are a fan of easy recipes, this not only satisfies your palate but is great for your health too It is one recipe that I often make with my evening tea or as a quick appetiser too.
Other breakfast recipes Besan Cheela, Ragi and chocolate Pancake, Classic Fluffy Pancake, and Whole wheat and Oatmeal Pancake.
Moong dal Pizza or Moonglet
- Non-Stick Pan (US)
Moong Dal Chilla
- 1 cup Moong Dal soaked
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 2-3 tablespoon Water
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2-3 tablespoon onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilii
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 5 cheese slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 40 g Mozzarella cheese
For Fresh salsa
- chopped onion
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped coriander or cilantro
- Chopped jalapeno pepper
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice
Moong dal Batter for Cheela
- Take soaked and drained moong dal and blend in a mixer using little water to make a thick paste.
- Pour it in a bowl and then take green peas and blend the peas to make a thick paste.
- Take a bowl and add moong dal paste, peas paste. Now add chopped onion, grated ginger, chopped coriander leaves, salt to taste and chopped green chili in it.
- Mix it and then add baking soda in it.
- Mix well and add water to make a batter of medium consistency.
- Add water in small batches to get your desired consistency of chilla batter.
To make fresh salsa
- In a bowl add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander or cilantro, salt to taste, chopped jalapeno pepper, salt to taste, lime juice and mix them well and keep aside for the flavours to mingle.
Prepare Moonglet or Moongdal Cheese Pizza Cheela
- For making cheela, Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add a little oil and brush it to coat the pan
- When the pan is hot, scoop ladleful of prepared batter for each chilla and spread it out.
- Cook for a few minutes until bottom is golden brown and then flip and cook on the other side.
- Take it out and keep it aside.
- Now prepare another pancake or chila like this. When done spread a layer of fresh salsa over it and cut each cheese slice into 4 triangles.
- Arrange the cheese slices to cover the chilla. Also add grated mozzarella on top of it.
- Now place other prepared chila over this cheese layer and press it with spatula.
- Cook it on low heat from both the sides. Flipping occasionally and apply butter to cook it.
- Now when cooked from both the sides, place the remaining cheese slices over it and cover.
- Cook this till cheese is melted which will take 2-3 minutes.
- Now to serve I like to add a good sprinkle of chaat masala, some chilli flakes and some chopped coriander. Cut it into slices and enjoy and cheesy treat!