Soft pillowy chunks of masala pav, slathered in a spicy tangy and aromatic tawa masala. Masala Pav is one of most popular Mumbai street food after Pav Bhaji. Soft melt in mouth Pav slathered in spicy tomato-onion masala, topped with fresh lime juice and chopped coriander leaves and crunchy peanuts. Masala Pav is ultimate spicy street food from Mumbai.
Mumbai Masala Pav Recipe Video
Mumbai Pav recipes make the best snack or breakfast. Two of my absolute favourite Mumbai street food are Masala Pav and Pav bhaji. Though both the recipes have similar ingredients they taste different and taste amazing.
Masala Pav is a spicy Mumbai street food dish you can prepare in one pan and under 20 minutes. You all know by now how much I love one-pot recipes. They are just so easy and mess free. I somehow cleaning all of it afterwards is a backbreaking task. :p When I am feeling exceptionally lazy and crave good-food simultaneously (trust me, this happens a lot) then I cook Masala Pav. Because when it comes to Masala Pav you are always just 3 Ingredients away from Spicy Comfort Street Food!
The three ingredients are onion, tomatoes, capsicum, and spices! You can make Masala Pav with Pav Bhaji masala as well. It just enhances the taste of this street food. The best part about Mumbai street food is how filling they are, just a plate of Masala Pav and you are done.
There is two way of making this buttery spicy recipe. One is where you only use tomato, onion and capsicum filling. Another one is with boiled mashed potatoes in it. Both the variations taste great when cooked with loads of butter and love. 🙂 This time I have only used three ingredients for cooking my plate of Masala Pav.
Tawa Cooked Masala
The masala for Masala Pav is cooked on tava and the buns are butter-fried on the other side of the same skillet. The buns absorb the masala and the butter along, making it crispy and spicy. I find cooking on tava little hasseling and messy at home so I go for making Tava masala in a pan. But since tava cooking is mostly done of slightly high heat, I choose a good sturdy coating pan or hard anodised pan.
How To Make Mumbai Masala Pav
The secret to good tasting Maharashtrian style Masala Pav lies in tawa cooked masala. Right amount of heat, the texture of cooked masala and right proportion of spices is actually a secret behind any good dish. Here too, the balance id the key. If you want to cook some filling snack in less than 20 minutes, then make this spicy Masala Pav recipe and enjoy with a cup of garama garam steaming cup of masala chai!
Other Mumbai street food recipes you can make are Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav, Tava Masala Grilled Cheese Toast, Anda Bhurji Pav, Maska Pav, Chura Pav, and Misal Pav
Mumbai Masala Pav Video Recipe
Recipe Notes- Masala Pav
- A days-old pav bun works best in tava masala pav.
- If you don’t have green bell pepper then make it with yellow or red ones.
- Add some grated cheese for that little cheesy flavour on top if you wish to.
If you love the recipe, do share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Whatsapp. Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below. You can also subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817
Masala Pav- Mumbai Street Food Recipe
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ cup Red Onion
- 2 teaspoon Chili Paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ cup Capsicum chopped
- ¼ cup Mushroom chopped
- 2 tablespoon Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 4 burger buns
- 3-4 tablespoon water
- Coriander leaves
- Add 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan/ tava.
- When the oil starts to smoke add cumin seeds in it. Then add mustard seeds and half a cup of onion in it.
- Saute the onion until they are light pink and then add ginger-garlic paste in it. The ginger-garlic paste is optional so add only if you feel like.
- Saute all the ingredients for another minute and then add finely chopped capsicum and mushrooms in it.
- Mix everything and add spices now. Start by adding 2 tablespoons of pav bhaji masala and salt.
- Mix the spices and cook for 3-4 minutes until the veggies become little soft.
- Then add 3 medium sized finely chopped tomatoes( approx 1 cup) and chopped green chilies in the tava.
- Now, add chopped coriander leaves with the tomatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat till the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- When the tomatoes are soft and pulpy pour 3-4 tablespoon of water and mix everything.
- Now, mash the veggies with the back of your ladle while cooking the masala. Cook and mix the masala for 2 minutes.
- Now, when the masalas are about to cook, take tomato masher and mash and mix the masala for 2-3 minutes.
- Your masala is ready now slide it one side and take pav buns, cut them from between. Add a teaspoon of butter and put buns on it.
- Switch off the heat and sandwich the masala in the pav and take them out in a plate.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves and serve with sev and masala tea.
Leave me your feedback here please