Potato and Sooji Snack squares is a delicious and healthy Indian teatime snack. Made with Indian semolina/sooji, lots of veggies with Potatoes and cheese these Semolina Potatoes and veggies cutlets are perfect teatime snack or breakfast. As we say in India it makes a perfect Shaam ka Nashta.
Potato Sooji Snack Recipe Video
When I talk about Nashta, Have you followed my #MTCchaiNashta Series? If you love teatime snacks as much as I do this is a must follow recipe series on the blog. Super easy to make these crispy Indian snacks are delicious too. Follow the simple step-by-step process to make this crispy Potato sooji veggie squares.
Also, As I am talking about semolina, other crispy semolina/sooji snack you can make is Sooji aur chawal le Pakore.
The base of these veggie squares is vegetable Upma. I make them with different spices though. I have added the veggies that were in my fridge. You can pick your favourite vegetables and add them. Only suggestion here is do not opt for vegetables that release a lot of water after cooking and remain soggy. I avoid cabbage capsicum etc. You can even add paneer or tofu for protein as well.
And we haven’t talked about the best thing yet 🙂 These delicious veggie snack squares are crispy but these are not deep fried. I have pan fried them. You can shallow fry or air fry as per your liking.
These delicious semolina and potato snacks are a perfect snack for parties or even festivals. You can make them in advance and keep in the freezer. Shallow fry them only when you are ready to serve them. You can cut them in any shape of your preference.
For me, these delicious and crispy snacks with potato are perfect for tea-time. Other than these few favourite tea time snacks are Cheese Potato Bites, Amiri Khaman, Raw Banana Nuggets, Khatta Dhokla.
Potato and Semolina Cutlets – Recipe Notes
- To make perfect shaped veggie squares one has to saute all the veggies first to dry out any moisture from veggies and cook them.
- Roast the sooji/semolina along with the veggies to remove the raw flavour.
- When the sooji is cooked switch off the heat and then add boiled mashed potatoes, coriander leaves, cheese and other ingredients.
- Since I refrigerated the semolina and veggie mixture prior to frying I used butter paper to spread the mixture evenly.
- You can always use a flat surface or a plain plate brushed with oil to spread the mixture evenly.
Apply oil on your hands before flattening the mixture.
I am often asked about the Pans and other things that I use in my cooking videos and recipes. I am giving Links to buy these You can check those links and buy. You can buy WOK by clicking the link or the Pan I have used in the Video from Amazon here.
If you love the recipes, do share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Whatsapp. Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below. You can also subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817
Sooji Veggie Squares
- ½ cup sooji/ Semolina
- ¼ cup Onion Chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh Peas
- ¼ cup Beans Chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot Chopped
- ¼ cup Mushroom Chopped
- 2-3 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon Mixed Herbs
- 1 cup gms Boiled Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Green Chillies Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Mint Leaves Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Cheese Grated
- Heat oil in a pan and all the veggies in it. Let the onion, peas, beans, carrot and mushroom to saute first.
- After 3-4 minutes when the veggies are well saute add half cup of semolina in the same pan and roast it with the vegetables on slow-to-medium heat.
- When the semolina is well roasted add 2 and a half cup of water in it and mix well.
- Then add salt to taste and a teaspoon of mixed herbs in the pan.
- Now, cook all the veggies and semolina for another 5 minutes and after that switch off the heat of the pan.
- When the heat is off then add 200 gms of boiled mashed potatoes in them and mix it in the pan.
- Now add chopped green chillies, mint leaves and coriander leaves on it. Sprinkle some grated cheese in the mix and mix them well.
- Now, lay butter paper on a flat surface and take out the mixture on it. Spread the mixture evenly with around ¾ of thickness.
- After the sooji squares are well spread cover and refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- After 30 minutes take them out of the refrigerator and cut into 1 and a half square inch.
- The veggie squares are ready to fry.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and when it starts to smoke carefully add the fries in it.
- Shallow fry the veggie squares from all the sides and serve hot.