This pressure cooker coconut rice recipe is fragrant, aromatic and one of my favorite side dish! These days I make it in instant pot, electric pressure cooker any other pressure cooker. All It takes is 20Minutes in the Instant Pot to make this perfectly cooked Coconut rice. Cooked with fresh tender coconut and lots of aromatic, this is the perfect side dish for any Indian curry.
This is one of our favorite rice side dish to serve with curries for parties or on its own in the lunch box. If you like mild coconut flavor along with lightly roasted spices and fried cashew nuts, you must try this rice recipe. This is Vegan and gluten-free. I often serve it with Kolhapuri Masala egg curry or South Indian style Egg Curry.
I love rice, so much that I can eat them for every single meal. Yes! that includes breakfast. These coconut rice are delicious, fragrant, fluffy and very flavourful. There are many coconut rice recipes from around the world. What I am making today is Coconut rice Indian style. South Indian style rice, also known as thengai Sadam to be precise. If you have tried the popular coconut milk rice recipe this is somewhat similar in taste.
I made the coconut rice using long grain basmati rice, but honestly, you can use any rice that you love, short grain, medium grain whichever rice variety you fancy. Also, for more intense coconut flavor replace half the water with coconut milk and you will get very fragrant coconut milk rice. The recipe is prepared by cooking together grated coconut and cooked rice with the spices.
How to Cook Coconut Rice (Video Recipe)
Coconut Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- Start the instant pot in saute mode.
- Add coconut oil and add asafoetida/hing, and also add dried red chilli, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and cashew sauté for one or two minutes.
- Now add in the grated coconut and saute for 1-2 minutes till the raw smell goes away.
- After roasting the coconut, switch off the instant pot. Take out everything out of the pan put it in a bowl. Keep it aside.
- Now, again switch on the instant pan in saute mode set the timer for 3-4 minutes. Add washed and soaked rice and stir to lightly toast them.
- Add in the 2 cups of water and cover it with lid of instant pot. Now again switch on the instant pot in pressure cook mode and flip the pressure valve in the sealing position. Set the timer on 5 minutes and medium pressure.
- After that release the pressure with the help of long handled spoon by bringing the pressure valve to non sealing position.
- Open the lid of the instant pot and fluff the rice gently with a flat spoon.
- Now add the cooked coconut masala in the rice and mix in gently. Serve the coconut rice with plain curd, raita or a curry.
If you like to try more Instant pot recipes for everyday Indian meals you can check, Instant Pot Veggie soup, Instant Pot coconut rice , Mixed veg pulao in Instant pot, How to boil eggs in Instant Pot. If you are planning to buy Instant pot and thinking Is instant pot suitable for Indian cooking?
Also, checkout these 5 things before you buy Instant Pot?
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- tsp ½urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 Green chillis chopped
- 2-3 Dried Red chilli
- 2 Tbsp cashew / kaju
- 1 cup coconut grated
- 200 g rice
- tsp ½salt
- In a large pan heat coconut oil and add asafoetida/hing , now add dried red chilli, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and cashew sauté for one or two minutes.
- Now add in grated coconut and saute for 1-2 minutes till raw smell goes away.
- After roasting the coconut take out everything out of the pan put it in a bowl. Keep it aside. In the same pan add washed and soaked rice and stir to lightly toast them.
- Add in 2 cups of water and cover. Allow the water to boil and then reduce the heat to slow.
- Cook it covered for 10minutes. After that allow it to stand for 3-4 minutes and fluff with a flat spoon.
- Now add the cooked coconut masala in the rice and mix in gently. Serve it with plain curd, raita or a curry.