Coconut burfi, fudgy traditional Indian sweet prepared with dry desiccated coconut, milk powder sugar and ghee. Traditionally coconut burfi is made with milk or milkmaid but in this recipe I am sharing with you this instant Indian Mithai you can make with simple ingredients in home.
Coconut burfi popular Indian sweet that is made during festivals.In Tamilnadu coconut burfi is known as Thengai Burfi which is made with freshly scraped coconut, milk, sugar and ghee.
How to Make Coconut Burfi?
There are many ways to make this delicious burfi. Some people make burfi with condensed milk and coconut. But I use this tried and tested milk powder coconut burfi without condensed milk. The recipe is super quick too.
You can cook it in 15 Minutes flat and have a traditional Indian sweet on the table in minutes.
I don’t make sweets or desserts often, but when I do I make sure it should be a quick one and most importantly taste should be totally worthy of the calories we are going to consume.
Yes! I need a full return of my investments sort of person in this department :D. SO, trust me this one is totally worthy of the calories it packs and is super quick to make.
Ingredients for Coconut Burfi Recipe
How to Make Coconut Burfi (Video)
Recipe Notes and Tips
- While making coconut burfi with Milk Powder, one thing that is important is a continuous stirring of the mixture on slow heat. This way you don’t end up burning it or browning it too much.
- You should cook the mixture till it thickens to really fudge consistency and comes together as a mass and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Cool it enough and keep in the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes so that It is easy to cut in proper shapes.
Burfee remains fresh outside fridge for 1-2 days. Want to keep it more than that? Store the cut squares in an airtight container in the fridge for shelf life upto 3 weeks.
More Such Recipes
If you like traditional Indian desserts for festivals you may want to try out these delicious Indian sweets with contemporary presentation.
Coconut Burfi Recipe | How to Make Coconut burfi
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup Milk powder
- 1 cup Desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Green cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon pistachio chopped
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottomed non stick pan. Allow it to melt completely and add milk.
- Warm the milk for 1-2 minutes and add sugar. Mix it well and stir to dissolve completely.
- Now add milk powder to the milk and keep it stirring continuously on a very low heat till it starts to thicken.
- Add desiccated coconut and mix it in the mixture and cook it till whole mix starts to come together and form a thick mass.
- Now grease a plate/dish with ghee and spread the hot coconut burfi mixture with a spatula while flattening it on the surface.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and almonds and place it to set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Cut the milk powder coconut burfi into desired shapes and enjoy.