Instant Rava Vada crispy from outside, soft inside Instant Medu vada recipe made with semolina or sooji. These Karnataka style Rave Vada are popular South Indian breakfast you get in Udupi restaurants. Here's an easy recipe for making Instant sooji vada.
Quick to make and so delicious this Instant breakfast recipe is one of my favorite popular south indian, karantaka breakfast and teatime snack ever.
The best thing about this instant sooji vada recipe is you do not need to grind any batter, no soaking required.
You can make this rava vada instantly when you are craving them. Nothing tastes better than a bite of crispy vada with chutney and piping hot adrak chai. With coconut chutney these make excellent teatime snack with chai or filter coffee.
For best breakfast serve these with lentil sambhar and coconut chutney it tastes pretty amazing that way. Do give it try once and I know you will get addicted 🙂
How to Make Rava Vada
First of all you need sooji or rava. Rava is one ingredient that I always keep at home because I can make so many other snacks with rava.
This recipe can be made in two parts
- Making Instant Vada Mix
- Making Instant Medu Vada from Instant Mix
Step by Step Making of Instant Rava Vada Mix
First step is to make this Instant Vada mix which you can make ahead and store for upto 6-8 weeks.
- For making breakfast mix, heat oil in a wok or pan. (photo -1)
- Add asafoetida/hing, mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and stir fry for a minute.
- After that add chopped ginger, green chillis, curry leaves, mix and stir for few seconds. (photo -2)
- After that fresh coriander leaves. Cook these on slow heat till coriander leaves and other fresh herbs are dehydrated completely. (photo -3)
- Now add semolina/sooji and roast on low flame for 5-7 minutes. keep stirring it because you do not want to burn the mix. (photo -4)
- Switch off the flame and add salt and cool down the mixture. (photo -5)
- If you are immediately making vada proceed with next step. (photo -6)
- Otherwise you can put this mixture in an air tight jar and store it.
Step by Step Making of Rava Vada
To make rava vada, you do not need to soak any ingredients. All you need to do is combine few basic ingredients like rava, yogurt, cumin, green chillies salt etc and your instant vada batter is ready.
You can also instant breakfast mix I have shown you above. And, with that you can make them even more quickly.
In a large mixing bowl take 1 cup of Prepared mix (photo -1)
Now add curd, chopped onion and mix the batter nicely. Add ½ cup water as required after sooji absorbs all the curd. (photo -2)
Rest the batter for 10 minutes.
To shape vada grease both hands with oil. and take small portion of the dough. (photo -3)
Make a hole in the centre just like doughnuts. (photo -4)
Heat oil till smoking point and slowly drop these shaped vada in hot oil. (photo -5)
Deep fry these instant vadas to a crispy golden perfection. (photo -6)
Drain over kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
finally, serve instant rava vada with chutney sambhar and masala chai.
The recipe of rave vade is quite easy and takes much lesser time. Whenever you wish to prepare vadas instantly, do give this recipe a try.
Step by Step Instant Rava Vada Recipe Video
Expert Tips and Recipe Notes
while making Instant vada mix, always dry roast the fresh herbs so that they are completely dehydrated. That way you can store that for longer time.
Roast semolina or sooji on slow heat. Idea here is to completely roast the semolina to remove rawness but not to change it's colour in the process.
Rava Vada Recipe | Sooji Vada Recipe | Instant Medu Vada
- 1 cup Semolina/Rava
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
- 1 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Cilantro
- ½ tsp Salt Namak
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Bengal gram chana daal
- 1 tsp White Lentils
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Hing powder
- 3 tablespoon onion chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida/hing, mustard seeds, Chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and stir fry for a minute.
- Now add chopped ginger, green chili mix and stir for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and fresh coriander leaves.
- Now add semolina/sooji and saute on low flame for 5-7 minutes. keep stirring it.
- Switch off the flame and add salt.
- Allow this mixture to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl take 1 cup of Prepared mix
- Now add curd, sour curd is better to use as it gives best taste of vada.
- Rest the batter for 10 minutes.
- mix well to form a batter. Add water as required after sooji absorbs all the curd.
- To shape vada grease both hands with oil.
- Take a small portion of the dough and make a hole in the centre just like doughnuts
- Heat oil till smoking point and deep fry thise instant vada to a crispy golden perfection.
- Drain over kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- finally, serve instant rava vada with chutney sambhar and masala chai.