Spinach soup recipe that is healthy, delicious and warming soup recipe for winters. One of the best spinach soup creamy without cream, light on taste you can easily make it vegan and it is naturally gluten-free. Other than spinach it has one more healthy ingredient Apples.
I think every soup lover think about making spinach soup during winters. But most of the times thinking about taste of bland spinach makes them change their mind and making something else. But this recipe of spinach soup is quite delicious! In fact this palak soup is far from bland.
Spinach Soup is
- Vegetarian, gluten-free and can be made Vegan.
- Simple, easy and quick to make.
- Make it with fresh or frozen spinach.
- Creamy Spinach soup without cream.
- Fresh and healthy spinach soup.
- Perfect soup for weight loss diet.
- Does not contain cornflour or any other flour for thickening.
Spinach in Hindi is known as Palak which is considered quite healthy. However plain palak soup sometimes gets little bland and boring, so I always try to add additional flavours / textures to make the soup little extra flavourful.
Spinach: You can either use fresh or frozen spinach. I prefer to use fresh spinach because here we get best quality spinach in winter.
Apple: Use green apples if you can find them. These are the best fit for this soup as they add slight tang.
Potatoes: I have used boiled and mashed potato which is always there in my fridge. However you can use dried potato flakes as well those also work just fine.
Vegetable Broth: I have used homemade vegetable broth which is naturally low in salt/sodium. If you are using canned stock or broth make sure to pick low sodium.
Spices and Seasoning: This is one of those soups which I don't prefer to season very heavily. Simplicity of the dish is it's USP. So I just use black pepper to spice it up.
Cheddar Cheese: It is used as topping/garnish. Feel free to skip this if you want to make vegan spinach soup.
How to Make Spinach soup?
This recipe of soup is slightly different in terms of taste because I have added apple in the soup which gives this soup a great body and a slightly sweetish taste. That sweetish taste balanced so well with sharp cheddar cheese I have used to top it up.
Extra virgin olive oil also adds a great taste, so I highly recommend that instead of adding cream or anything else drizzle few drops of extra virgin olive oil and I am sure you will definitely love it.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- If you like to use frozen spinach the amount of spinach used changes. For this recipe I have used about 400gm/1pound fresh spinach. You need to use roughly 10oz frozen spinach to substitute for that.
- This tastes best when you use green apples, granny smith works great for this. However if you can't find that use regular apples.
- Use low sodium/salt broth always, because I find most of spinach dishes do not require too much salt. So use less in the recipe you can always add later.
How to Serve it?
I like to serve spinach soup with some extra sharp grated cheddar and a drizzle of olive oil on top. If you feel hungry you can alway eat bread along with the soup, but on its own too it's quite filling.
Can You Freeze Spinach Soup?
You can easily freeze the soup. You can either use an airtight container to freeze it or use ziplock pouches.
More Recipes Like This
If you love soups, then other than this soup you may like to try:
- Roasted tomato and basil soup
- Coriander Lemon Soup
- Vegetable soup for weight-loss diet
- Sweet corn Soup
- 400 grams spinach
- 200 grams apple
- 100 grams potato boiled and mashed
- 400 ml vegetable stock (low salt)
- 40 grams cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Oilve oil
- to taste salt
- to taste black pepper
- Wash the spinach throughly.
- Chop spinach including soft part of spinach stem also cut apple into chunks.
- Heat vegetable stock in a pan, add spinach and apples, cover and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Let the mix cool a bit and Blend it in the blender after that and add potato and blend it all to a smooth puree.
- Return the soup in the pan and bring it to boil once more. Add some salt and black pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve hot. Top it with drizzle of olive oil and grated cheddar cheese.