Instant Bread Dahi Vada recipe that is Non fried, quick and easy to make. Soft, melt in mouth and rich like Shahi Dahi Vada. This delicious Indian chaat recipe also known as Punjabi Dahi bhalle or Dahi bade is perfect recipe to satisfy your dahi vada cravings. This requires no pre-soaking and best is these are non-fried.
Make this yummy looking, delicious street food snack with bread, curd, and your favorite dry fruits.
Dahi Vada has a special place in North Indian Chaat Recipes. We simply can’t resist melt in mouth soft dahi vada that is beautifully covered in curd, chock-full with dried fruits, and topped with Imli chutney and green chutney.
If you are nodding your head and day-dreaming about that soft squishy vadas filled with cashews and nuts, then this Instant Bread Dahi Vada recipe is just for you.
This is Instant Vada recipe, no premix required, no soaking of dal or grinding. All you need is bread, some common ingredients in kitchen and few slices of bread to make Instant Non Fried Dahi Vada.
What Is Dahi Vada?
If you are familiar with Indian cuisine or Punjabi Cuisine. Dahi Vada are soft deep fried lentil dumpling which we make with yellow moong dal or white urad dal. These are usually topped with chilled curd, chutneys and spices. Drooling already? Well I am! 😀
This is one of very popular street food recipe. But the real deal aka Dal Vada takes time to make. All that pre soaking and grinding. It’s a sweet labour of love.
But this is one of easiest Dahi vada recipe made with bread. You can make it in about 20 minutes. That is why when sudden craving strikes I make these Non fried -Dahi Vada.
What Are Shahi Dahi Vada
Shahi Dahi Vada are almost similar except these are slightly rich because dried fruits and nuts are added in the recipe. In this recipe I have added nuts and raisins for extra crunch, richness as well as sweetness. If that counts as Shahi then Yes these are shahi Vadas.
Tips and Tricks to Make Best Bread Dahi Vada
- Use while bread for best taste. Make sure to remove corners and sides. That will give you soft as a cloud Dahi vada taste.
- To Serve Bread Vada make sure to whip yogurt/curd to creamy texture, because that makes a lot of difference in taste.
- Do not skip on roasted cumin/bhuna jeera which is coarsely roasted, It pairs so well with dahi.
- Not just that, to add that little crunch there is those red pearls of pomegranate as well.
- Unlike traditional Dahi bada, these bread vada do not require a long soaking time. Just soak the for few seconds and take them out immediately. Because these are made with bread and with too much water it breaks easily.
How to Make Non Fried Instant Bread Dahi Vada
This is not only quick and Instant recipe to make, but a non fried too. These vada are not deep fried. I have cooked in Appe / Paniyaram pan also kind of aebleskiver pan with minimal oil. So, this is actually a low-fat recipe compared to regular version.
So, if you are on healthy eating side today then skip mentally calculating the calories and follow this recipe prep that will take you to a plate full of non-fried mouthwatering Instant Bread Dahi Vadas.
If you want traditional lentil dahi vada recipe then try my other favorite Dahi Bhalla chaat with easy steps here.
I am sharing Shahi vada recipe by both frying and non-frying methods. Step by step recipe instructions are given below.
How To Make Instant Dahi Vada (Video Recipe)
To make the non-fried/ appe pan version of Instant Bread Dahi Vada cut bread into square pieces and soak them in milk.
To the bowl add yogurt, sooji/semolina, and chopped dry fruits. When you are mixing the vadas do not add excess water as we need the batter to be thick enough to be easily mixed.
When you are dropping spoonfuls of batter in the appe pan, make sure that you brush some oil in the pan.
Also that the pan is hot when you are pouring the batter otherwise it won’t cook properly.
Try to pour the batter in shape of round dumplings.
Cook them covered for 10-15 Minutes, make sure to turn them over in between to prevent burning and even cooking.
Take them out of pan after cooking. Soak them in water for a minute and then take out immediately.
Squeeze out excess water, put them on serving plate and top with chilled yogurt, tamarind chutney, green chutney, salt red chilli powder, roasted cumin and enjoy chilled.
Instant Bread Dahi Vada
- 6 white bread
- 1 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Semolina
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Cashews
- 1 tbsp Pistachios
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- Start with slicing off the corners of the bread and then cutting them in small square shapes.
- Keep the bread pieces on a plate to create less mess.
- When you are done transfer the bread in a mixing bowl and pour a cup of milk on it.
- Then add half a cup of yogurt, salt to taste and two teaspoons of sooji in it.
- Now, add chopped dried fruits- raisins, cashews, pistachios and almonds in the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well and keep them aside.
- Now, if you wish to Deep Fry-
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot enough carefully drop the vadas in the pan.
- Deep fry them until they are golden brown and then take them out in a plate and keep them aside.
- For cooking in Appe Pan-
- Place appe pan on the stove and brush some oil in it.
- When it is hot enough pour a spoonful of vada batter in the pan.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Keep checking the vadas so that they don’t burn. Turn them over once or twice to cook from all the sides.
- When they are cooked take them out with a spoon/knife and transfer them on a plate.
- When you are ready to serve it, dip the balls in a small bowl of water for a minute and squeeze them out.
- Keep them on a serving plate, add some chilled yogurt, tamarind chutney, some crushed dried fruits, and salt or red chili powder on top.
- Serve them and enjoy with your friends and family.
- Keep a constant tab on the vadas so that they don’t get burned from the bottom.
- take care not to keep them in water for longer period as these are made with bread these will break easily.
- If you want you can add sugar to the curds, or temper it with mustard and curry leaves.