Green moong dal recipe. Simple, easy and spicy green whole moong dal recipe that tastes delicious. A hearty protein packed gluten-free Indian dish, this moong dal tadka is perfect to serve with roti chapati paratha or rice.
Dal is a staple dish in most punjabi homes. This tasty dal of whole green moong is kind of homely dal that we eat on regular basis. It is made with green gram which is also known as whole moong or sabut moong.
Unlike restaurant style dals there is no cream, no butter, not even dollops of ghee is involved. It’s an Indian comfort food that we enjoy with roti, paratha or rice.
Back in the time when we were growing up Dinner was always a hearty dal tadka and a dry subji to accompany it. I make a variety of dal recipes. I have already shared the Dal makhani, Dhuli moong dal recipe, langar wali dal, sookhi Urd dal amongst other.
Dal Palak is another delicious moong dal preparation that can be made with moong dal.
This Moong Dal Recipe is
- gluten-free vegetarian dal dish made with whole moong or green gram dal.
- Simple and easy to make comforting meal.
- Soluble dietary fiber rich, has a good amount of protein.
- It goes well with rice, roti and quinoa.
- I have included stovetop method and Instant Pot Method.
Ingredients for Green Moong Dal Recipe
Whole Moong Dal: Green moong dal in English is known as green gram. It is a whole dal or lentil that is finer rich, gluten-free and vegetarian protein rich pulse.
Spices & Seasonings: salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder
For Tempering Or Tadka: ghee, garam masala, whole cumin seeds, whole red chilli (optional), coriander powder, asafoetida/hing
Fresh: onion, tomato, ginger lime juice, fresh green coriander leaves or cilantro.
Green Moong Dal Recipe
In my home this whole moong dal was cooked once or sometimes twice in a week. My mother would add a generous Punjabi tadka to it, and that means ghee as well :).
Punjabi dal tadka is usually same for most of the dals lot of green chilli, sometimes whole red chilies. Tomatoes and onion with garam masala and cumin in lots of ghee are added to most dals. That tadka can lift any dal recipe to a whole new level of flavor and spice.
I have shared two cooking methods to cook this dal recipe in the recipe card below. You can make Green moong dal on stovetop in a pressure cooker or you can cook Instant Pot Green moong dal.
Recipe Notes: Green Moong Dal Recipe
- Cook the Dal to a well-done consistency. Punjabi dals are never watery.
- If Dal is still watery when you open pressure cooker, Cook it little more on slow heat without the lid. Make sure to stir it in between.
- Tadka/tempering should be fried well.
- Sabut moong ki dal tastes great with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves. Make sure not to skip that.
- To make it vegan skip ghee and cook with Oil or vegan butter.
What to Serve With Green Moong Dal?
- Green moong dal tastes good with roti, naan or paratha. You can serve it plain rice, jeera rice, or pulao.
- Side Dish you can Serve with Dal: Jeera aloo, Paneer bhurji, Aloo Bhindi
- A sprinkle of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and a generous squeeze of lime is the best way to add more flavor to moong dal.
Why To Include Lentils/Dals in Your Meals - Health Benefits
Dals are a great source of proteins, especially for vegetarians. Also, a great source of soluble fiber which is an additional health benefit of this green whole moong dal.
If you try to cook your meals keeping the glycemic index in mind this one is a low GI dish, hence should be suitable for diabetics or pre-diabetics too. (However, check with your health advisor if it is suitable for you).
I like to include a lot of these dals, lentils, and legumes in my meal as these have a great satiety factor and keep me full for longer period of time.
How To Store Leftover Dal?
To Store green moong dal in refrigerator, put the leftover dal in a fridge safe container and store it. You can store it for 2-3 days in the fridge.
To freeze whole green moong dal use either a freezer safe glass container with lid, ziplock bag or a stash bag. Put dal in it after cooling dal to room temperature and seal if you are using any of bags or close the lid if you are using a container.
When you are freezing dal or any other food make sure to label the date. So you know by when to consume that particular dish. Whole moong dal stays good in freezer for upto 3 months.
More Such Recipes
Yellow moong dal Tadka
Sabut Masoor dal
Slow cooked Dal Makhani in Pressure cooker
Healthy Stove Top Dal Makhani
- Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- Khatti Dal Recipe
Lagar Wali Dal
Gujarati Dal Recipe
Dal Fry Recipe
Sabut Moong Dal | Green Moong Dal Tadka Recipe
- pressure cooker
- Instant Pot
For Green Moong Dal
- 200 grams Moong Dal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder red
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
For Dal Tadka
- 2.5 tablespoon ghee for tempering
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 whole red chilli
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- ⅕ teaspoon asafoetida hing
For Garnish and Serving
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
Cooking Dal in Pressure Cooker on Stove Top
- Clean whole Moong dal, wash then soak dal in water for 2 hours.
- Discard the water in which dal was soaked and wash the dal/lentil once again.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add grated ginger and slit green chillies.
- Saute them and add chopped onions. Stir and cook onions till translucent. Add turmeric, red chilli and salt and cook for a minute.
- Now add washed and drained whole moong dal. Roast this dal along with the onion mixture for 2-3 minutes. This step is a must as this brings out a good flavour and texture in the moong dal curry.
- Now add water and fresh tomato puree. Cover the pressure cooker with lid and cook moong dal for 4 whistles. Now reduce the heat and keep it pressure cooking for 10 minutes.
- Allow the steam to release and then open the pressure cooker lid.
Preparing Tadka For Green Moong Dal
- Now to make second tempering heat a tablespoon of ghee in a pan.
- dd asafoetida/hing, cumin seeds, slit green chillies, broken whole red chillies and cook for a minute. For ⅓ rd of this tempering in the cooked dal.
- Add chopped coriander as well and mix it.Serve this hot dal in a bowl. Pour the remaining tadka/tempering over it and add some more ghee if you wish to. Extra ghee at this stage is totally optional but taste is so worth of extra calories that it adds 🙂
- Now in another tadka pan heat up ½ tablespoon of ghee and add cumin and broken whole red chilli. Allow the cumin seeds to pop and switch off the heat add this hot tadka over the hot dal.
- Serve this punjabi style sabut moong dal tadka with, Tandoori roti, tandoori paratha, fresh hot paratha or steamed rice.
Instant Pot Green Moong Dal
- Clean whole Moong dal, wash then soak dal in water for 2 hours. Discard the water in which dal was soaked and wash the dal/lentil once again.
- In the inner pot of your Instant pot add soaked whole moong dal with salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and Onion tomato masala.
- The link for onion tomato masala recipe is given in the recipe note section below.
- Close the lid of IP and set it tp pressure cooking mode on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- After dal is cooked allow the natural pressure release for 5 minutes and then force release the pressure.
Tempering/Tadka for Green Moong Dal
- Now in a tadka pan heat up 2 tablespoon of ghee and add cumin seeds and broken whole red chilli.
- Allow the cumin seeds to pop and switch off the heat add this hot tadka over the hot dal.
- Serve with a sprinkle of lime juice and some fresh chopped coriander leaves or cilantro
I am a follower of your blog. Just a quick note: your latest recipe on the Dhal, has no recipe steps except the ingredients list.
There is no qty mentioned for the moong Sal
A really good recipe! I am a regular follower and I appreciate how you make collections of such recipes.
I will try making this Punjabi moong dal
Very nice and easy moong Dal recipe! good and healthy too
Your food always looks mouthwatering and I want to go and make it asap!
Thanks for your details for preparing Gurudware wali chane ki dal with black broken udad dal