Chilli paneer a popular Asian main course dish from Indian-Chinese cuisine. Crispy-fried paneer and vegetables are cooked in tangy, sweet, spicy sauce in this restaurant style gravy to serve with fried rice and noodles. Try this easy Chilli paneer recipe at home you will never order takeout ever!
We love spicy food! And let's get real Asian food or spicy Indo Chinese food makes us weak in the knees and get our taste buds activated.
Another thing we Indians love is Paneer and I think that's what makes Chilli paneer one of most favorite Indo-Chinese vegetarian dinner option.
This easy to make vegetarian dinner option is loaded with flavours and comes with two options. You can make this delicious recipe If you love Indian cottage cheese. If you want to make Vegan version make it with Tofu (chilli Tofu) and use this super delicious chilli paneer recipe as it is.
How to Make Best Chilli Paneer
You can make The best Chilli paneer which tastes like restaurant or even better if you follow few easy steps. But before talking about recipe there is major decision to make which chilli paneer version you enjoy the most and how to make them.
Dry Paneer Chilli recipe
A paneer dish that is served as snack or appetiser. This semi-dry chilli paneer tastes exactly like restaurant style chilli paneer.
Chilli Paneer with Gravy
This version of chilli paneer is served as as main course dish to serve with fried rice or stir fried veggie noodles. It has more sauce/gravy.
Here are my Secret Tips to Make Excellent Chilli Paneer at home.
- Use Homemade Paneer: A good quality paneer is most crucial in making any paneer dish. And I have a recipe to make soft paneer at home so I prefer to use homemade paneer.
- If you are feeling lazy and want to use store bought paneer this hack will work great. Soak in lukewarm salted water for 5-6 minutes before using and then drain it nicely. Not only for this dish but in any paneer dish it will taste super soft and melts in mouth.
- Do not cook over cook vegetables, quickly stir fry so that they retain their crunch. Also avoid over cooking paneer to prevent it becoming chewy.
- You can make dry version of this. Also you can make same chilli paneer with extra sauce by adjusting the amount of water.
Shallow fry, Deep fry or Pan Fried Paneer
Deep-fried paneer after marination tastes good but my waist doesn’t approve of it all the time. So, I usually opt for shallow frying or pan frying.
I have pan-fried the paneer to make this recipe. Pan fry the paneer until it is golden brown from all the sides and then proceed with making the gravy.
Recipe Notes- Paneer Chilli
- Instead of sugar use tomato ketchup, that helps with managing the sweetness required in paneer chilli.
Prep every thing before cooking: You should cook all the stir frying on high heat so I recommend prep everything and keep it close so you can add it immediately and do not end up burning things.
- Using black pepper sauce makes difference in taste. Use it instead of black pepper to enhance the taste.
- Always add salt after tasting the gravy because all the sauces that we use while making Indian Chinese recipes (like soy sauce, tomato sauce) contain salt.
- While making the sauce I have used black pepper sauce, you can use black pepper powder as well (as per the availability)
- To make it vegan substitute paneer with tofu.
- To make it gluten-free substitute corn flour with rice flour and use gluten-free sauces.
Step by Step Recipe
Cut the paneer into inch squares. Take a medium sized bowl and add paneer in it. After that add salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper powder, and 2-3tbsp of cornflour in it.
Coat the paneer nicely in the cornflour.
Heat a pan and add oil in it. When the oil starts to smoke add the paneer pieces one by one and pan fry until golden brown.
Set it aside and prepare for the gravy. Heat oil in a pan and when it starts to smoke then add chopped onion and spring onion.
Mix all the ingredients and saute them on high heat for 2 minutes.
When onion is turns light pink in color add chopped green and red capsicum. Saute for another minute.
Saute the ingredients for 1-2 minute and then add chopped ginger and ginger garlic paste.
Mix them well and now add tomato ketchup, soy sauce, red chilli sauce and black pepper sauce in the pan.
Now, in a small bowl add 1-2 tablespoons of cornflour and 100 ml of water. Mix it well with a spoon and pour it in the pan. Add salt to taste and black pepper powder in it.
Cook all the ingredients until the gravy starts to thicken and its colour darkens.
When the gravy is thick (according to your taste) then slowly add the pan-fried paneer in them.
Mix the paneer in the gravy and cook for another 1-2 minute.
Sprinkle some spring onions on top and your Paneer Chilli is ready to devour.
Stepwise Recipe Video
More Indian Chinese Recipes you Can Try
Egg Fried Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice
Vegetable stir-fried noodles
Sweet n Sour Soup
Sweet n Sour vegetable Gravy
Chili Paneer Recipe
(For pan Frying )
- 300 gms Paneer
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 3 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic optional
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 8 Green Chilies slit
- 5 Spring Onion
- 1 Green Capsicum
- 1 Red Capsicum
- ¼ cup Spring Onions Green
- 1-2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 100 ml Water
- ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- ¼ black pepper
(Prepare Paneer For Chilli Paneer)
- Before we pan fry the paneer we will coat it in corn-starch and other spices. Take paneer and cut them into small square pieces.
- Take a medium sized bowl and add paneer in it. After that add salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper powder, and 2-3tbsp of cornflour in it.
- Coat the paneer nicely in the cornflour.
- Heat a pan and add oil in it. When the oil starts to smoke add the paneer pieces one by one and pan fry them until golden brown. Pan fry the paneer from all the sides until they are in a beautiful golden brown color.
- Set it aside and prepare for the gravy.
(For Chili Paneer Gravy)
- Saute the ingredients for 1-2 minute and then add chopped ginger and ginger garlic paste.
- Mix them well and now add tomato ketchup, soy sauce, red chilli sauce and black pepper sauce in the pan.
- Now, in a small bowl add 1-2 tablespoons of cornflour and 100 ml of water. Mix it well with a spoon and pour it in the pan. Add salt to taste and black pepper powder in it.
- Cook all the ingredients until the gravy starts to thicken and its colour darkens.
- When the gravy is thick (according to your taste) then slowly add the pan-fried paneer in them.
- Mix the paneer in the gravy and cook for another 1-2 minute.
- Sprinkle some spring onions on top and your Paneer Chilli is ready to devour.
- Serve it with schezwan rice, fried rice or stir-fried noodles and enjoy hot.
I am often asked about the Pans and other things that I use in my cooking videos and recipes. I am giving Links to buy these You can check those links and buy. You can buy WOK by clicking the link or the Pan I have used in the Video from Amazon here.
Disclaimer: The post may contain affiliate links, for which I get a small commission only if you buy clicking these links.
Can i use maida instead of corn flour
Can I add some mushrooms in it as well?
Omg, I made paneer chili yesterday and it turned out so perfect... I am so happy with this Indo Chinese recipe. Awesome
Chili paneer recipe
Hi, everyone today in this post I want to share the very tasty recipe of chili paneer. You will how to make one of the very popular Indo-Chinese recipes
This recipe is excellent.I tried step by step as in your video and final result is very good.
Although I am a doctor but very fond of clocking to keep my wife happy.
Very simply explained. Hope it’s as simple to make as well!!
Very simply explained. Hope it’s as simple to make as well!! Will try this evening 👍🏻