Vegetable Pulao (Veg Pulav) is a One pot dish that makes a complete healthy Indian meal by itself. Made with cooking rice with assortments of vegetables and spices, the Vegetable Pulao is one of the most convenient meal when you want to eat something healthy tasty and homemade.
Pulao also called as pulao, polao, pallao and pulav locally, is an integral part of Indian cuisine since ages. If we are talking about one pot meals of healthy and convenient meals vegetable pulao recipe is one of first few that comes to mind immediately. Vegetable Pulao ingredients are commonly available in the home. You can use whichever vegetable is available at home. Rice is mostly a pantry staple in most of the Indian homes.
Vegetable Pulao ingredients are commonly available in the home. You can use whichever vegetable is available at home. Rice is mostly a pantry staple in most of the Indian homes. In my initial days of cooking when I hardly knew how to cook, few of these easy dishes made our meal most of the times. Vegetable Pulao for lunch was a common affair on the weekends since none of us was are really interested in elaborate cooking.
The vegetable pulao consists of rice and a mixture of either lentils or vegetables, mainly including peas, potatoes, french beans, carrots, capsicum. It is also served on special occasions and weddings but is equally preferred by home cooks.
The recipe of the dish is highly adaptable so you can add few more ingredient to increase vegetable Pulao nutrition. To add a variation and more taste, instead of adding water you can make vegetable Pulao with Coconut milk. It is often served with either spiced yogurt or raita along with salad and papad.
Sometimes people confuse Biryani with pulao but the main difference is that a biryani comprises layers of rice with meat or vegetables and pulao is not layered.This rice dish also has different variations all over the world including Asia, Middle East, and Europe.
The spices used give aroma rice and vegetables bring the flavor and texture to the Pulao. You can use any vegetables available or even limit your dish to just one vegetable as per requirement, but the more the merrier. The dry spices like bay leaf, cinnamon, jeera add all the life to this finger licking dish, so try it for yourself this weekend and let me know how you liked it.
This easy to cook and a complete meal in one pot that can be cooked in a pressure cooker or any heavy bottom pan. All it takes is 20 Minutes if you have pre-prepped vegetables in your fridge (How to prep for a week worth of meals )
In this recipe, I cooked Veg Pulao in a pressure cooker, which makes the cooking process even easier and faster. Many people do not use a pressure cooker to cook rice because of fear of rice becoming mushy. If you take care of few tips for cooking rice in a pressure cooker you will always get a perfect texture of rice, separate grains with the right amount of cooking. Make sure to read how to cook rice perfectly in pressure cooker
Tips to Cook Rice in Pressure Cooker
- Choose your rice wisely and add the water accordingly to cook. It is better if you have cooked this rice before to know the estimate of water to be added.
- It is better if you have cooked this rice before to know the estimate of water to be added as various types of rice need a different amount of water.
- If you are using long grain aged basmati like me, For cooking in a pan I use 2 times the amount of rice. For example for 1 cup of rice, I use 2 cups of water.
- If I am cooking rice in pressure cooker I use 1/4 cup less than what I use to cook rice in the pan.For example for 1 cup of rice, I use 1 and 3/4 cups of water.
- Cooking time is an important factor when you are cooking veg pulao in cooker. I just cook the rice in the pressure cooker for 1 whistle and allow the pressure cooker to cool down before opening it.
Vegetable Pulao Video Recipe
DID YOU COOK this recipe