Love pulao? but, want to make it healthy? This North Indian brown rice pulao recipe with masoor dal and veggies with curd or raita is perfect main dish for you!
Masoor dal brown rice pulao recipe with goodness of whole red lentils / Kali masoor dal, brown rice, veggies and fragrant spices. A delicious, heart-healthy, one-pot rice meal recipe in microwave.
Making brown rice pulao in a microwave is super easy because everything happens at the touch of a button in LG microwave ’s auto cook menu. Many of you already know that I have a separate microwave recipe section in which I work with a newly launched range of microwave ovens.
This time I working with LG Healthy Heart Microwave Oven. Why it is named so? Because it has an auto cook menu which also has 30 Healthy Heart recipes. So other than the auto cook menu of other delicious recipes, this LG oven has a dedicated heart-healthy recipe section. These all are certified by the Heart Care Foundation of India.
Heart-Healthy Recipes in LG Microwave
All these heart-healthy recipes are healthy, made with wholesome ingredients, cooked in low fat and still taste very delicious. You can read more features of this LG microwave oven here.
Masoor dal pulao or Lentil brown rice pulao is a delicious and wholesome pulao recipe in microwave. The goodness of red lentils and brown rice makes it hearty and heart-friendly fibre rich meal. You can serve it as it is, or with cucumber raita and some oil-free pickle, it tastes fabulous.
The best thing about cooking this masoor dal brown rice pulao in the microwave is convenience. Cooking a healthy meal in a microwave was never easier than this. You just need to follow the right proportion of the ingredients and follow rest of easy directions, sit back and relax, auto cook menu cooks the recipe perfect for you.
How to Make Lentil Brown Rice Pulao in Microwave?
Here's step by step detailed method of making brown rice pulao.
First up soak rice and whole masoor dal separately. Mix and cook them in microwave as per directions given in recipe below. [Photos 1,2,3,4]
Next is cooking brown rice and masoor dal mix and preparing tomato masala with veggies and spices. [Photos 1,2,3,4]
Once done cook the masala for pulao. [Photos 5,6]
Finally after the masala is cooked, mix the cooked mix in the cooked mixture of dal and rice along with milk. [Photos 1,2,3,4]
And wait for the final beep of microwave to finish cooking. [Photos 5,6]
For more clarity on texture and exact recipe looks at various stages I strongly recommend watching video.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- For Microwave auto cook menu to work, you must soak whole masoor dal and brown rice beforehand. Because cooking time in the auto-cook menu works that way. If not soaked it may result in undercooked rice or dal.
- Always take care of the amount of water you use in a recipe. You can adjust the quantity slightly as per the quality of brown rice you are using. In this recipe, I am using long grain basmati brown rice.
Other Microwave Recipes You Can Try
DISCLAIMER : This is sponsored post in association with LG microwaves. However opinion and recipe is mine.
Brown Rice Pulao with Brown Rice
- ¾ cup Whole masoor dal
- 1 cup Brown rice long grain, basmati
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 pc cardamom
- 3.5 cup water
- ½ cup milk low fat
- ¼ cup peas shelled
- 1 onion medium
- ½ cup tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Soak whole masoor dal for 60 minutes.
- Wash and Soak brown basmati rice for 15 minutes.
- In a big microwave-safe bowl, mix brown rice, whole masoor dal, water and salt to taste.
- Select Heart-healthy menu on the microwave touch panel. Press to select menu number 22.
- Place the rice and dal bowl inside the microwave and press start to cook pulao in the microwave.
- In the meanwhile for preparing tomato-onion masala, in a microwave-safe bowl add 1tbsp cooking oil, sliced onion, sliced tomatoes, peas, bay leaves, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, green chilli, grated garlic, grated ginger ½tsp garam masala and mix everything well.
- Press stop once the microwave beeps, and one the door of the microwave.
- Take out this dal and rice bowl and place the bowl with tomato onion masala for the pulao in the microwave. Press the start button again.
- Now once again when microwave beeps, take out the bowl and add this cooked masala in cooked dal and rice mixture along with ½ cup of milk. Mix everything and place the bowl in the microwave once again.
- Close the door of the microwave and press start button again to finish off the cooking.
- It will beep once Brown rice pulao is cooked.