Vermicelli upma or Semiya upma is one South Indian breakfast that I turn to when we need a quick, healthy and delicious Indian breakfast. Cook vermicelli with a handful of spices and a quick breakfast is ready in 20 minutes.
Enjoy this Vegan South Indian Upma with coconut chutney and filter coffee for a delicious breakfast. Here’s how to make Semiya Upma MTR style.
I love south Indian breakfast recipes because most of them are light on the stomach and super tasty! That is why I add them to my breakfast menu at least for twice a week.
This is one common cuisine which my family loves unanimously. Although this is a south Indian staple, vermicelli upma is quite popular in North Indian homes as well. Generally, upma is made with semolina or sooji but this is a great alternative to it.
What Is Vermicelli
Vermicelli is thin pasta or noodles, known by various local names in India. In Gujarat it is known as Sev, Telugu name for vermicelli is Semiya or sevalu, Shemai in Bengali, Shavige in Kannada and Seviyan in North India.
Vermicelli as an ingredient is very versatile, you can make a variety of dishes with this. Sweet or savoury the great quality of vermicelli is like pasta it absorbs flavours like sponge.
There are many types of vermicelli noodles. Made with rice, wheat, semolina. Rice vermicelli is gluten-free if you want to make gluten-free vermicelli recipe.
Depending on dish you are making you can pick rice or wheat vermicelli or other choice. Also you can pick from thick variety or very fine one.
Ingredients You Need
For the exact amount of ingredients please scroll down or click JUMP TO RECIPE button for detailed instructions etc.
Vermicelli: Rice vermicelli
Canola oil: or any vegetable oil for cooking
Asafoetida: for flavour
lime juice for taste
For Tempering: chana dal roasted, 1 dried red chilli, green chillies, curry leaves
turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Salt to taste
For Garnish: Roasted peanuts, Cashews
How to Make Vermicelli Upma
For making Vermicelli upma recipe first cook rice vermicelli and then toss it in a tempering of cooked spices and lemon juice.
Cook Vermicelli: Boil some water and salt in a deep dish pan. Add the vermicelli boil for 5-6 minutes, drain and keep it aside.
Make Tempering: For making tempering or tadka Heat oil in a pan and fry the cashews until golden brown and keep aside. In the same oil, sprinkle a pinch of hing and mustard seeds. Add the roasted chana dal, chopped green chillies and a few curry leaves. Let it cook for a minute on medium heat.
Break the dried red chilli into two halves and put in the pan. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and stir well.
Finish: Mix in the boiled and drained rice vermicelli and mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Put the heat off and squeeze a lime in this upma. Top the vermicelli bowl with cashews and serve hot.
Vermicelli Recipe Variations
These quick south Indian recipes are all about the adequate blend of spices added in at the right time. The tempering or tadka changes across India. When you are making south Indian Vermicelli upma, you use mustard and curry leaves seasoning.
For Making North Indian Namkeen seviyan recipe it changes to cumin, onion and tomato tadka. Isn't it fascinating to see the same Vermicelli taking different flavours as you move across the country?
How to Serve Vemicelli Upma
You can serve this vermicelli upma with fresh coconut chutney and green chutney. It becomes a perfect comforting breakfast with cup of hot masala chai or filter coffee. This is an excellent Indian dish to pack for lunch box as well.
When I have time for an evening snack I often make it and enjoy this upma as evening teatime snack (south Indian tiffin) or paired with salad it makes great light dinner.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- Make sure not to overcook the vermicelli.
- Vermicelli pasta is thin so be careful while mixing them in with the spices.
- Keep the heat on medium throughout the recipe as the ingredients are already half cooked and can burn or become sticky.
- Cook the tadka/tampering on low heat. If it gets burned it could spoil the taste.
- You can also add fresh green coriander if you like as garnishing.
When Making vermicelli upma recipe, most people do not add lemon juice, but I always like to add lime juice. Lime juice bring in that extra zesty tangy flavour to the rice vermicelli.
How to Make Vermicelli Upma (step by step Video)
More Vermicelli Recipes
More Breakfast & Snack Recipes
More Such Quick Recipes
Vermicelli Upma - Semiya Upma Recipe
- 800 ml water
- 200 grams rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon oil
- A pinch of asafoetida hing
- 1 tablespoon chana dal roasted
- 1 dried red chilli sookhi lal mirch
- 1 teaspoon green chillies chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric haldi
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder lal mirch
- 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Roasted peanuts and cashews for garnishing.
- Boil some water and salt in a deep dish pan. Add the vermicelli when the water comes to boil.
- Let it boil for 5-6 minutes, drain and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the cashews until golden brown and keep aside. I
- In the same oil, sprinkle a pinch of hing and add the roasted chana dal, chopped green chillies and a few curry leaves. Let it cook for a minute in medium heat.
- Break the dried red chilli into two halve and put if in the pan. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and stir well.
- Mix in the boiled and drained rice vermicelli and mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Put the heat off and squeeze a lime in this upma.
- Top the vermicelli bowl with roasted peanuts and cashews and serve hot.
what an easy recipe! I am a student and always short of options to make my breakfast before going out. I always come to your website for recipes under 20 minutes!
This is just perfect for those rushed mornings. Bookmarking it now! Your website has become my favorite recipe website.