Sheer khurma is traditional and rich Eid dessert from Hyderabad. A festive dessert which is specially prepared on Eid-ul-Fitr and in the month of Ramadan for Iftar. You can cook easy Sheer Khurma recipe in 30 minutes.
Festivals are the great excuse to indulge in delicious rich desserts. Sheer khurma is one of the perfect dish to prepare for occasions and celebrations. After all, aren't the festivals incomplete without sweets! 5 types of Kheer Recipes for All Festivals.
To make Sheer Khurma recipe, Semiya (thick vermicelli) is roasted in ghee. This roasted seviyan is slow cooked in full-fat milk is and sweetened with dates. A good amount of nuts and dried fruit makes it very rich. That's why this delicious dessert is served for Iftar dinner during the month of Ramadan. Rich and decadent dessert is served after fasting whole day you need to recharge for the next day.
Roasted vermicelli cooked in full-fat milk along with nutritious dry fruits and dates is simply a lip-smacking sweet for a delicious dessert craving. And saffron added to it gives a unique flavour to the dish making sheer khurma an incredible dessert.
Rose petals used for garnishing the dish undoubtedly complement the rich flavours of sheer khurma. Doesn’t this remind you of our delicious meethi seviyan you prepare on various occasions! sheer khurma is almost the same.
It is indeed a sheer joy to make Sheer Khurma that is most famous dish from the list in Afghani, Pakistani cuisine and Hyderabadi Cuisine and cooked during Eid.
Sheer Khurma With Condensed Milk Or Milkmaid?
If you want to make it quickly using condensed milk. If you want to make it quickly, you can make sheer khurma with condensed milk or milkmaid as it is commonly known.
Authentic Hyderabadi sheer khurma recipe, is made with Milk, sugar, ghee and vermicelli. But this quick recipe of khurma is another option too. But one thing to remember if you use condensed milk to make sheer khurma recipe. Skip sugar altogether.
How to Make Sheer Khurma
Though I restrain myself from eating sugary dishes a small bowl of flavourful sheer khurma occasionally is definitely no harm. The aroma of the beautifully cooked sheer khurma fills my home with sweet and rich flavours which is oh so tempting!
The rich and yummy flavours of sheer khurma never fail to satisfy your dessert cravings. A heavenly mouth-watering sweet!
As I am sharing my dessert experiences with you, this surely calls for sharing various “My tasty curry” style dessert delicacies that you can prepare for any occasion at your home or even at the time when your taste buds shout for a sweet desire -
Do not forget to check out more dessert recipes from my “My tasty curry” dessert bucket. Raspberry and Rasgulla Kheer Cups, Apple Kheer Recipe, Coconut Burfi Recipe, Kaju Halwa Recipe, Kesar Pista Badam Kulfi, Dry fruit Milk, Paneer ki Kheer
Sheer Khurma Recipe Notes
- Both dates and raisins contribute to the sweetness in the dish, so adjust the quantity of sugar accordingly and as per your taste.
- Roast vermicelli on the slowest heat in ghee first till it turns light brown. Roasting on high heat can burn it and it may taste raw from inside.
I am all set to cook rich and delicious sheer khurma. Your taste buds are already tickling to savour yummy sheer khurma? Then don’t wait, let the aroma of delightful flavours of sheer khurma fill your house and palate with pleasant aromatic flavours and rich taste.
SHEER KHURMA RECIPE
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 cups full-fat milk 500 ml
- 1-2 cloves
- 8-9 almonds sliced
- 7-8 cashew nuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 8-9 unsalted pistachios sliced
- 1 tablespoon chironji
- ½ cup Vermicelli pasta
- 8-9 dates chopped
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 8-10 saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder elachi powder
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cloves, almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, pistachios and chironji to the pan. Fry them till they turn light brown.
- Add vermicelli. Roast it on a slow heat. Stir well.
- Add milk and dates. Cook for 12-15 minutes on low flame till the vermicelli is softened and the milk turns thick.
- Add sugar, soaked saffron and cardamom powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now, turn off the flame.
- Transfer the sheer khurma in serving bowls.
- Garnish with almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, raisins, saffron strands, cardamom powder and rose petals.
- Enjoy your sheer khurma hot, warm or chilled, just as you love it.