Easy homemade Thandai powder recipe to make thandai in minutes. Thandai is a traditional Indian drink that is commonly consumed during festivals like Holi and Shivratri. This refreshing beverage is made using a blend of different ingredients, including nuts, spices, and milk. Not only is thandai a delicious and healthy drink, but it is also easy to make homemade thandai.
Thandai powder is a blend of nuts, seeds, and spices that are used to make a traditional Indian drink called Thandai. Thandai is a refreshing drink that is typically served during festive occasions like Holi and Shivratri.
Making thandai powder at home is a simple process, and it allows you to control the quality and quantity of the ingredients used. Here is a recipe for making thandai powder at home:
In this article, we will show you how to make thandai powder and homemade thandai, its ingredients, tips to make the best thandai, and much more.
Why Should We Make Thandai Powder at Home?
- This thandai powder or thandai premix you can make homemade thandai for holi in minutes.
- This is artificial flavours or chemical free.
- It has longer shelf life.
Ingredients in Detail
Thandai is a healthy and refreshing drink that has several benefits. Some of the ingredients used in in making thandai powder are:
- Almonds: You can use any variety but I prefer to use organic Indian almonds.
- Cashews: Cashews are optional but if you have them use them. Cashew add rich taste and creamy texture in thandai.
- Melon Seeds: Melon seeds are a good source of protein, fiber, and vitamins. In hindi melon seeds are known as magaj
- Poppy Seeds: Poppy seeds are also known as khas khas.
- Fennel Seeds: Fennel seeds are a good source of vitamins and minerals. Fennel seeds are added for nice flavour
- Cardamom Pods: Cardamom pods have a sweet and spicy flavor and are rich in antioxidants. They also have antibacterial properties and are good for digestion.
- Black Pepper: To add a spice to the thandai. You can adjust the quantity in small amount as per your preference.
- Rose Petals: For the perfect thandai taste always add either dried rose petals or a few drops of rose water
- Kesar/Saffron: For the best flavour use Iranian kesar.
- Sugar: You can use regular sugar or sugar free stevia.
Tips to Make the Best Thandai:
- Use fresh and good quality ingredients to make thandai.
- Adjust the sweetness of the drink as per your preference.
- Use chilled milk and crushed ice to make the thandai more refreshing.
- Garnish the drink with rose petals, saffron strands, and chopped nuts for added flavor and texture.
Is Thandai Healthy?
Thandai is a healthy drink as it contains several nutrient-rich ingredients like nuts, seeds, and spices. These ingredients provide a good amount of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. However, thandai also contains sugar, so it should be consumed in moderation.
Thandai is a versatile drink that can be enjoyed in different ways. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it chilled during hot summer days as a refreshing drink.
- You can also serve it as a welcome drink during festive occasions like Holi and Shivratri.
- Pair it with Indian snacks like samosas, kachoris, and pakoras for a delicious combination.
- Thandai can also be used as a base for desserts like ice creams and puddings.
How To Use Thandai Powder?
You can use this instant thandai powder to make many other desserts like kheer, puddings like pana cotta or shrikhand etc.
Is Thandai Diabetic-Friendly?
Thandai contains sugar, so it is not suitable for people with diabetes. However, you can make a sugar-free version of thandai by replacing sugar with natural sweeteners like stevia or honey.
How to Store Thandai Powder?
You can store thandai powder in an airtight container in a cool and dry place for up to 2-3 months.
Can You Make Thandai in Advance?
Yes, you can make thandai in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. However, the flavor may slightly change if you keep it for too long, so it is best to consume it fresh.
More Such Recipes
- Apple Thandai Kheer
- Paan Lassi
- Mango Lassi
- Strawberry Lassi
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Gond katira sharbat
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 tablespoon melon seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sugar-free sugar stevia
- 2 tablespoon rose petals
- 20 saffron strands
- 6 cups milk
- A few strands of saffron
To Make Thandai Powder
- Mix all the ingredients that are mentioned above and grind to a powder.
- This is your thandai powder.
- Store the thandai powder in an airtight container and use it whenever you want to make thandai.
To Homemade Thandai with Thandai powder
- To make homemade thandai, you will need the following ingredients:
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoon thandai premix with 2 tablespoons of milk and mix well.
- Now transfer the mixture to a serving glass.
- Add 200ml of chillied milk and stir well.
- Your homemade thandai is ready to serve.