Indian Masala Omelette curry Recipe. Chunks of masala omelette soaked in hot and spicy onion-tomato gravy mopped up with a paratha or with some jeera rice is comforting, simple and quick Indian meal in minutes. If you love eggs as much as I do and always ready to try out egg recipes this egg curry is a must try.
Watch Omelette Curry Recipe Video
If you love eggs as much as I do then take out the utensils to cook perfect gravy Omelette. Made with well-whipped eggs which have onion, and chilies in a rich spicy tomato gravy. As I always say, eggs are so versatile, combine them with different types of masala/spices and gravies there is always some new dish around the corner.
The omelette curry is not really a new dish, but a delicious one for sure. I have been making it from almost a decade. Other than regular boiled egg recipes, this is a regular egg curry recipes that I cook at home. If you like to try other egg curry recipes, This Punjabi egg curry masala, Tari wali egg curry, Mumbai Masala egg curry and South Indian egg curry are some of the other favourites.
Now that we are talking about egg recipes allow me to mention a few more of my favourite egg recipes in case you also like to try them. I am assuming that if you have read this far you are a true egg lover like I am:D
Enough talking about eggs, let's get back to the recipe. Omelette curry is made with masala omelette, only, in this case, masala omelette is made quite thick so you can cut omelette into chunks. It takes a slightly different method to manoeuvre the omelette of this thickness, I highly suggest you watch the video. It is not difficult, but slightly different.
The only difficulty I faced when I first cooked the recipe was while cooking the omelette. Since I mixed the batter with onions and chillies it became thick. The first batch was raw from inside so I cooked the second one by flipping the other side of the omelette in another pan. I think this simple trick has helped me in cooking this recipe perfectly.
People often ask me how to avoid gravy disasters while making curries. I suggest them to cook the gravy with patience :). A mouth-watering recipe starts with well-roasted spices. Since omelette curry is a tomato-onion based gravy it must be cooked. You will know that the tomato and spices are well cooked when the oil starts to leave the corner of the pan. This is the secret of making amazing curries.
Only add omelette chunks in gravy when you are ready to serve. It absorbs gravy like a sponge. While spongy omelette infused with curry tastes absolutely great with chapati or paratha, but if you are serving with rice you need a little bit of gravy as well. Still, if you make some extra and have spongy omelette pieces soaked in gravy, you can make this omelette curry Frankie. These taste absolutely delicious! Believe me it's worth making some extra curry just for these. Plus if you are a lazy cook like me that makes it two meals from one 😀
Omelette Curry - Recipe Notes
- Whisk the batter for a thin paste and then pour all of it in a pan. Cook from one side and for the other side take another non-stick pan, flip the omelette on it and then cook it again.
- You may add some butter or spray some oil on the other pan if you wish.
- Cook the spices and onion-tomato paste until the oil/masala starts to leave the pan.
- Cut the omelette into pieces and then carefully add it in the gravy.
I am often asked about the Pans and other things that I use in my cooking videos and recipes. I am giving Links to buy these You can check those links and buy. You can buy WOK by clicking the link or the Pan I have used in the Video from Amazon here.
If you love the recipe, do share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to Whatsapp. Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below. You can also subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817.
- 4 Whole Eggs
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 1 Green Chili chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
For Making Gravy
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes chopped
- 3-4 tablespoon Wate
- Crack four whole eggs in a bowl and add ¼ cup chopped onion, 1 chopped green chilies and some chopped coriander leaves in it.
- Whisk well until you make a batter for the omelette.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil starts to smoke pour the batter in the pan and reduce the heat to the lowest.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook from all the sides. Since the omeltte is thick it must be uncooked from the upper side.
- When the lower side is cooked take another pan to cook the other side of the omelette.
- Add some butter on the other pan (this is optional) and flip the omelette on it and cook the uncooked side.
- When the omelette is cooked, switch off the heat and place it on a plate.
- Cut it into pieces, it should be a ¾th size and after that place them aside.
- How To Make Omelette Gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and when it starts to heat add a teaspoon of cumin seeds and ¼ cup chopped onions in it.
- Add a teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste and saute the onions till they are golden brown.
- When the onion is sauteed and is golden brown add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Add a teaspoon of Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder, a teaspoon of coriander powder and half a teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and cook the spices until they are well roasted.
- Add 2 freshly chopped tomatoes in the pan and then sprinkle some salt (according to taste)
- Cook the ingredients until the tomatoes become soft and pulpy. When the tomatoes are soft it’s time to pour water for the gravy.
- Cook the masala until the oil/ masala starts to leave the pan. This way you will know that they are well cooked and its time to add some water in it.
- Pour 3-4 tablespoon of water in the pan and then cover the pan with a lid.
- Allow the gravy to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes and then turn the heat to slow.
- Take off the lid and add omelette pieces in it.
- Mix the omelette pieces with the gravy and allow it to simmer for a minute or two.
- Serve the omelette gravy hot with roti or rice.