A delicious leftover dal paratha recipe made with leftover dal served with pickle and curd is easily one of easy healthy tasty and filling breakfast. If you also have some leftover dal sitting in your fridge and wondering what can be made with leftover dal make this Leftover Dal paratha.
If you cook Indian food regularly you know we have leftover dal sitting in the refrigerator situation at least once in every week. For me making some sort of paratha is the quickest and tastiest dish that can be made with leftover dal.
So I make either this dal paratha recipe or Missa paratha or Dal masala poori. Recipe links for both these recipes are given in the bottom of this post.
My family loves all of these Indian flatbreads with yogurt and some sort of pickle. Believe me these paratha are so tasty that I make some extra dal on purpose so that I have some leftovers to make paratha.
If you have never made paratha before this is Indian flatbread prepared with whole wheat flour or a mix of few other ingredients. You can make plain paratha or stuffed paratha.
In this case I am making paratha with leftover curried lentils/dal so it is called Dal ka paratha.
How to Make Paratha with Dal
Ingredients for Making Dal Paratha
You need leftover dal / lentil curry along with whole wheat flour to make paratha dough. You can use any of these Dal Recipes to cook dal. This time I made dal paratha with leftover Dal Fry.
Depending upon what else is there in the fridge you can add shredded veggies like carrots, radish, cauliflower, spinach if you wish to. You can also add green chillies, ginger, onions coriander leaves to enhance the flavour.
Most of leftover dal recipes already have onion in the tempering/tadka and seasoned well so I do not add extra onions. But I always add extra salt and spices to compensate for added wholewheat flour and veggies.
How To Make Paratha Dough with Leftover Dal
To make Paratha dough with dal. In a mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, leftover dal, salt, chopped green chilies, cooked rice, grated carrots, chopped green chillies, salt, red chilli powder, chopped coriander, green part of onion (scallions) and make a dough.
Since cooked Dal has enough liquid you do not need to add extra liquid or water. But if you need extra liquid you can add either a couple of tablespoons of water. I also had leftover whey from making homemade paneer so I added some of that. [ Photo 1,2]
Rest the dough for 20-30 minutes before rolling out the flatbreads.
How to Roll Dal Paratha
Divide the dough into 12 portions and one by one roll them into disks. Apply ¼teaspoon ghee or butter and then start folding it as shown in picture above [ Photo 3, 4, 5,6 above]
Now start coiling this into a round and tuck the loose end inside as shown in the picture below.
Likewise make all the coils/rolls and then again roll out dal paratha.
You can shape them as per your preference. I made laccha paratha as shown in the stepwise pictures. [ Photo 3,4,5,6 below]
You can shape them like squares like this egg paratha (detailed steps) or even make triangular paratha. Use some dry flour to dust then while rolling to make it easy and smooth.
How to Cook Leftover Dal Paratha
To cook paratha heat up a griddle or skillet, and place the paratha on the preheated griddle/tava. After about a minute flip it and cook on the other side for a minute. [ Photo 1,2,3]
Now apply some ghee or butter one the top side and flip it again to cook it till bottom is perfectly brown and crisp. Similarly cook both the sides till it is cooked nicely and layers and flaky, crispy and brown. [ Photo 4,5,6]
So next time if you have some leftover dal do not throw it away make these protein packed delicious dal paratha. This dal paratha is perfect to pack for lunch box along with some raita.
What can be served with paratha ?
Checkout More Recipes
- Methi Paratha,
- Amritsari Kulcha
- Gobi Paratha
- crispy Dal Paratha
- Missa Paratha
- Aloo Paratha Recipe
- Matar Paratha Recipe
- Egg Paratha Recipe
- Mughlai Paratha
Leftover Dal Paratha Recipe
- 1 cup Leftover Dal cooked 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cooked rice optional ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 Chopped green Chillies optional
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- 4 tablespoon Ghee/oil to cook Paratha
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- For making dough Mix all the ingredients other than ghee in a big mixing bowl and make a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough nicely and then rest it for 10-20 minutes.
- You can also prepare dal paratha dough in the food processor.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll them as I have shown in the step by step process shots above.
- Use dry wheat flour as required.
- After you finish rolling the paratha, Heat a skillet, and place the paratha on the preheated griddle/tava/skillet.
- In about after a minute flip it, and cook on the other side for a minute.
- Now apply some ghee or butter on the top side and flip it again to cook it till bottom is perfectly brown and crisp.
- Similarly cook both the sides till it is cooked nicely and layers and flaky, crispy and brown.
- Cook All dal parathas like this and serve hot.