Masala Aloo recipe is a spicy aloo recipe with a generous amount of masala. Spicy potato masala makes a perfect side dish for a dal or gravy dish. One of the tastiest Punjabi dry sabzi recipe for any Indian meal.
If I ask about one vegetable that everyone loves, which one would that be? I guess most of us will answer in unison “Potato”. yes! Most of us love potatoes. I for one love potatoes in all forms, give me boiled potatoes, roasted potatoes, fried, cheesy you just name it and I love it :D.
So in this week's 20 Minute Curry series, I am sharing one of my favorite potato recipe. Tilwale masala aloo. The recipe of masala aloo I am sharing with you today has been a lifesaver for me so many times that I have lost count. When the husband was serving in Air Force remote stations sometimes there was no fresh vegetable supply this humble spicy potato dish always saved the day. Together with tadka dal, rice, homemade chapatis these Til wale masala aloo spiked up the taste quotient to a whole new level.
You can serve it with simple paratha and a bowl of dahi for the breakfast. The other day I made a combination of this aloo sabzi and tamatar paneer for the brunch and it was a delicious burst of flavours and texture. A perfect start of the weekend.
When I was a newly married, there was this tradition of bouncing in the armed forces. Junior officers or bachelors would come unannounced in the home of their senior married officers and we used to cook a home-cooked meal for then sometimes almost in the middle of the night we all would be having an impromptu party. For such occasion, this masala aloo was a popular choice second being aloo paratha. So, I used to keep boiled potatoes in the fridge…especially close to husband's off days. Times have changed but I simply miss that time, …sigh!
Times have changed but this masala aloo recipe is still going strong and remains our favorite. The recipe remains the same since I first started making masala aloo sabzi. The only change I made in the recipe of masala aloo is I add sesame seeds and sometimes fresh pomegranate in the end. So, you can say these are Til wale masala Aloo recipe.
Masala Aloo Recipe Video in Hindi
Other Potato Recipes You Might Like to Try
- Aloo Katli
- Aloo Jeera/Cumin Potato
- Bombay Masala Aloo
- Chutney wale Aloo
- Vrat Wale Aloo
- Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi
- Aloo Matar Sabzi
- 500 g Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1-2 green chilli chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon amchoor powder/mango powder
- 1-2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2-3 tablespoon Tbsp pomegranate arils /seeds fresh
- 2-3 leaves Tbsp Coriander chopped
- Heat oil in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds followed by chopped green chillies and chopped ginger.
- Fry them for a minute and add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well, add 3-4 tablespoon of water to prevent masala from burning.
- Add boiled and cubed potatoes and coat well with masala. Add few more tablespoon of masala if required.
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes and before serving add toasted sesame, chopped green chilli, coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You can serve them on their own or as a side dish with rice, dal , chapati. Masala aloo taste delicious any which way.